Thursday, April 16, 2009

MY HOUSE IS ON FIRE!


Every blessed day,at work in the course of duty and even at leisure, I use WORDS for loads of purposes....as if we all don't. However, I've realised that more consciously, I'm forced to consider my choice of words in different situations.


Actually was typing a mail earlier in the day and this realisation strayed back into mind....


I remembered, at that instant, the story of the 'big man' whose house was suddenly unfortunate engulfed in flames.




The despondent fellow frantically placed a call to the fire department in Lagos.




the call was answered by the semi-lettered fireman on duty that night.




"Hello!is that the Lagos state fire department??" He hollered.




"Yes Sir", replied the voice at the other end."Sir, how we fit help you sir" (sic)


Our big man blurted out calculatedly in patent 'King James' English'


"A magnanimous conflagrational inferno is consuming my domicialliary edifice!!!"


which in layman's language( i.e for people like my humble self, who unfortunately did not attend grammar schools) should ordinarily be translated to mean "MY HOUSE IS ON FIRE"


'Wetin you talk. sir???", stuttered the hapless fireman at the other end, abeg oga make i try find thesaurus.................................


I'm Sure you can tell how the story ended.


different strokes for different folks!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment